The works on the A14 have lead to Huntingdon Road being used as a diversion route for HGV's throughout the night. Histon Road is also being used incorrectly by many HGV drivers, as it is not part of the approved route. This is causing huge disturbance to residents at night.
The disturbance caused reflects a complete failing of our Labour County Councillors to prepare for the extensive diversions. Resurfacing of the roads so they are smooth would significantly reduce the noise caused by the vibrations from the lorries.
Your Lib Dem City Councillors have been working to limit the noise and vibrations caused by the HGV’s. So far, we have:
- Written to Highways England repeatedly to raise these concerns.
- Successfully worked with the police to have the speed camera on Huntindgon Road turned around so the HGV’s need to observe the speed limit.
- Paced a bid for improved speed signage on Histon Road. This will be reviewed by the County Council at the end of January.
- Asked the County Council and Highways England to re-activate the flashing speed limit sign on Huntingdon Road.
- Asked the police to look into a night time speed restriction to 20mph for the duration of the work.
We have so far been unsuccessful in persuading the police or County Council to commit to a night time 20mph speed restriction, so will be looking into for further ways of doing this over the coming months.