Lib Dems win first round in fight to cut drivers' speed

October 8, 2008 10:44 AM

Liberal Democrat councillors are celebrating victory after winning the first round in their battle with the county council over reducing speed limits on two major roads in Cambridge.

Councillors have campaigned for several years to push the Tory-controlled council to take action to cut speed limits from 40mph to 30mph on Huntingdon Road and Madingley Road.

Now it has been announced that a review will take place and it is proposed that the existing 30mph limit on Huntingdon Road should be extended from Storey's Way to the start of the existing 40mph limit, subject to additional signing and road marking improvements.

Liberal Democrats are calling for the council to come up with the money quickly to make the improvements and say the review is "long overdue".

Simon Kightley, Liberal Democrat city councillor for Castle Ward, within which lies Huntingdon Road, said: "There has been consistent demand from residents for an extension of the 30 zones and we have had to wait a long time, but this is welcome news. We now challenge the county council to find the money promptly to undertake the necessary signing and road marking improvements."

Alex Reid, Liberal Democrat environment and transport spokesman on Cambridgeshire County Council, said: "This is long overdue. We will continue to campaign for 40 mph limits in built up areas right across Cambridgeshire to be reduced to 30 mph.

"We will also campaign for substantial 20 mph zones to be introduced in the central part of Cambridge and of other towns in the county. Lower speeds produce less noise and pollution, and are safer, particularly for pedestrians and cyclists. Children struck at 40 mph have only a 20 per cent chance of survival; struck at 30 mph they have an 80 per cent chance of survival."

What would you like to do next?