Government ban on credit card surcharge – a victory for Huppert
December 23, 2011
Cambridge MP, Julian Huppert is celebrating victory after the government announced it will ban credit and debit card surcharges just days after he called for action during a Parliamentary debate.
Julian secured the debate called ‘Credit and Debit Card Surcharges’ on Tuesday (December 20) in the House of Commons to highlight the problems people face with these hidden costs.
He said that the surcharges had become a business model in their own right seriously undermining legitimate economic growth. And he warned that if the government failed to act, it risked stifling the country’s fragile economic recovery.
Julian has been pursuing the campaign for change and tabled a Commons’ Early Day Motion in July calling for government action. This followed a complaint to the Office of Fair Trading by Consumer magazine Which? earlier this year.
Today (Friday, December 23) the government announced it will ban these excessive fees by the end of 2012.
Julian said: “I am delighted. This is the only way forward if we are to protect consumers from being at the mercy of businesses making money through credit and debit card transactions.
“More and more people are shopping on the internet which has been giving businesses more and more opportunity to get away with these hidden costs. People feel cheated and let down and the desire to buy is greatly reduced.
“I am pleased that the government has taken action to stamp out the practice which could have had serious implications for economic recovery and growth in this country. Hopefully banning excessive charges will make the whole process of shopping by debit or credit card much more straightforward and transparent.”